A multi-media artist who specializes in print making, glass painting, oil and acrylics
About The painter,
Through his unique and dynamic talents, Aziz, a self taught artist, established himself as one of the premiere contemporary glass painters.
Aziz has traveled extensively throughout Africa, Europe, and South America, absorbing the art and cultures of diverse environments. These experiences have greatly enhanced the artist’s seemingly limitless repertoire and creative energy.
About The Work
Theissoise, reversed painting on glass, is a process that involves applying color to the glass in the exact reverse process involved when painting on any other surface. The process is a detailed and a painstaking method as each color is applied separately. Brushes and various other tools are used to give continuity, contrast and texture to the finished work. Rich in symbolism, the artist’s work captures the spirit and ambiance of the universal experience.
Color-graph is a unique art in and of itself. The artist has designed and developed a printing press that enables him to produce original color graph print with multicolor in a single run. The illustration is carved from various materials with an illustration board. Due to the process of extreme pressure being applied in the making of the print, the plate has very limited use. Each color graph is an original.
Additional mediums include, water color, mix media and oil.
• Selected by the National Black Arts Festival to create advertising materials, including the huge festival billboards and banners that decorated the city of Atlanta during the two-week event.
• Selected as the official artist for the 1995, 1998 and 2003 New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, which is one of the most widely attended international festivals. the limited edition serigraph, for the festival
• In 1995 and 2002, commissioned by the Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs to create a commemorative poster for the tenth anniversary edition of the African Marketplace.
• Commissioned artist for 1996 Olympic Games Cultural Olympiad.
• Works have appeared on several compact disc and book covers for the University of Auburn (St. Martin Press); Featured in various motion pictures (Antoine Fisher story, directed by Denzel Washington); Carol Duval show on Home and Garden TV); The National Arts Festival 2000
(Feature Artist); Essence Musical Festival 2000 (Feature Artist); Tom Joyner Foundation Annual Fantastic Voyage (Feature Artist)
Galleries La Belle Gallery – New Orleans, LA; Joyce Gordon Gallery – Oakland, (310 867-4783. /